Tuesday 31 May 2011

Lemon, Honey and Ginger Cooler

The original inspiration for this drink comes from the concoction that I make myself or J when one of us is feeling under the weather. The hot, comfort version of this drink comprises lemon juice, honey and fresh grated ginger in hot water, though in slightly different ratios to those that I’ve used in this cold version. Just about every time I made it over last winter, I thought about how nice it might be as a cold, refreshing drink when the weather gets warmer. I was recently reminded of the idea when I read this blog post on the blog I am Mommy, who also provided the inspiration for using sparkling water instead of the soda or tonic water that I originally planned to use. The recipe here is what I came up with. This drink isn’t very sweet, so if you’re a fan of sugar you might want to use more honey than I have. As usual, the cup measurements here were made using a 250 ml mug. This makes 5 to 6 glasses, depending on the size of the glasses. Don’t let the drink sit for too long after you’ve made it, as it will lose its fizz.

IMG_8511

What you’ll need:

2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 rounded tablespoons freshly grated ginger

4 1/2 tablespoons honey

1 litre sparkling water

Ice, for serving (if you that’s how you like your cold drinks – I tend to prefer no ice)

What to do:

1. Put the lemon juice, ginger and honey in a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally during the whole process to mix everything together properly.

IMG_8481 IMG_8482 IMG_8483 IMG_8484 IMG_8487 IMG_8489

2. Turn off heat and leave to steep for about 20 minutes.

3. Strain the juice into a jug, pressing down on the residue in the sieve to get all the flavourful goodness out.

IMG_8490

IMG_8492  IMG_8493

4. Add the sparkling water to the jug and stir once or twice to mix completely.

IMG_8495 IMG_8496

5. Serve and enjoy!

IMG_8506

IMG_8501

No comments:

Post a Comment