Sunday 9 January 2011

Pearls of Wisdom

My husband and I spent Christmas and New Year in South Africa with some of my husband’s extended family. On the evening of the first, discussion over the supper table got pretty serious and the younger generation were each given up to two minutes to say what we do and how it affects mankind. The answers ranged from the hilarious to the serious. When we had all finished, the older generation were cajoled into also being put on the spot and were each tasked with giving us pearls of wisdom from their own experience that might help us as we start (well, I like to think of it as starting – at 27, some of us are pretty far in already!) adulthood. Three points have really stuck with me and I wanted to share them with you as you start a new year.

1. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

2. People are our greatest resource – network and appreciate them and never burn bridges with anyone.

3. We make our decisions based on the evidence to hand at the time. It is easy to look back and see, with hindsight, that perhaps a wrong decision was made or a better one could have been made. However, we shouldn’t regret past decisions as we make the best decisions we can with the evidence available to us at the time.

After that third point, I just want to add that I am grateful that God provides us with new chances even if we make the wrong decisions, and what better time to rejoice in new chances with God than at the start of a new year. I hope it’s a good one for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment